I was NOT feeling like myself at all, I was extra tired and I noticed lower abdominal cramping and a pain in my back. I decided to take it easy that day and not walk/workout because I was simply too exhausted to handle it. So after cleaning the kitchen I decided to take a nice warm bath. With that I noticed the back pain subsided but the stomach cramps were still present so I decided to be a complete bum and relax in bed the rest of the afternoon. I read my book and completely relaxed with a slight hope that these pains were an early sign of labor. By this time I was SOOO anxious, especially since I was already past my due date, but wasn’t going to let it get to me because I knew it wouldn’t happen if I kept anticipating it. Needless to say, I was very ready for labor to get here so I could meet my sweet little blessing. However, nothing happened besides the occasional cramping here and there throughout the rest of the evening. I figured if it was anything, it had to be false labor. With no sign of any progress, I went to bed without any anticipation of what would happen the following day….(So much for a leap year baby..lol)
I slept well throughout the night and woke up that morning feeling the same as every other morning. I got up and began watching the news while snacking on cereal because I had to get ready for my prenatal appointment at 8am. I was super bummed that I was having to attend this appointment after all, but it was alright, I was hoping to get some information from the doctor on my progress. While sitting down on the couch I felt it….a warm trickle of water in my shorts….I immediately told myself “No way!” and sure enough I went to the bathroom and noticed a small amount of fluid there. I told myself again “This can’t be what I think it is….” So with that I continued to watch the news and…..it happened AGAIN!…..at 7:13 am exactly I noticed the small trickle again and couldn’t believe it. I thought to myself “Ok this could really be it! My water is breaking!” So I decided to go upstairs and let my husband know and sure enough while walking up the stairs more and more fluid kept leaking out. 😀 I was SOOO EXCITED, yet completely calm all at the same time! 🙂 I went into the bedroom and told hubby, “I think my water just broke!” He immediately jumped out of bed (more alert than I have ever seen him) and said “Ok! Let’s get things ready to go.” He began gathering our items for the hospital and such while I checked to make sure we had everything we needed. I could tell he was nervous because from upstairs I heard him spill Lexie’s food all over the kitchen floor. 😛
At 8 am, instead of heading to my doctor’s appointment we were headed to the hospital. I called my parents to let them know the news and immediately upong answering my little sister said “No baby yet?!” and with an overwhelming joy I told her “Maybe baby..” and she responded with “What?! Really?! Baby!?” It was the cutest thing ever. I proceeded to tell my parents what had happened and how we were on our way to the hospital. They were in complete shock and were absolutely estatic. 😀
Upon arriving at the hospital I was checked to make sure my water had broken and the doctor immediately confirmed it and said I was 3 cm dilated! 🙂 I couldn’t believe it, I was sure that I was barely at a 1 if even. Then with a bit of confusion, my husband asked the doctor “So what does this mean? Are we staying or are we going?” and the doctor responded “Yes sir, ya’ll are definitely staying.” I couldn’t help but smile because in that moment I knew, that it was really happening…I was in LABOR! 😀 We waited a little bit for the paper work to be done and we were then escorted to our delivery room where I was hooked up to the machines and Baby A and I were monitored.
After being on the monitors for a little while I noticed my contractions started to become more prevalent. I even thought to myself, “this isn’t so bad, maybe I can do this, especially if I’m already dialated 3 cm!” My nurses were absolutely darling, they were so nice and made me feel great throughout the whole process. After feeling stronger contractions in my back, I asked the nurse if I was able to get up and walk around a bit, with the hope of helping me progress faster and to alleviate the back pain I was feeling. Thankfully, she let me get off the machines and walk around. Sadly, as soon as I was up and moving, my contractions didn’t feel as strong, and instead seemed to lessen in strength. After 45 minutes of walking, I was hooked up to the monitors again, only to find out that my contractions had slowed down and spread apart. The doctor also mentioned to me that pitcocin might be considered if I need helped getting my contractions closer together. Though I wasn’t too fond of the idea of using pitocin, I knew I didn’t have much a choice if it really came down it. After being monitored for abour 2 hours and no great change in my contractions, the doctor suggested intervening with a bit of pitocin to get things going. My nurse specially said “thing are going to get real here in a minute.” The nurses also told me that whenever I wanted the epidural, they’d go ahead and set that up for me. At this point, I was still feeling really good. My contractions had increased in pain but weren’t completely unbearable. (Again I thought “Hey! this isn’t that bad!”) But then an hour after the pitocin began things really did “real” and the pain was INTENSE. After several painful contractions and wanting to curse on the top of my lungs, I asked for epidural. I had always known I would most likely ask for it, even though I wanted to see how long I could go without it, so it wasn’t too big of a surprise. The pain was so intense that I had forgotten everything they had taught me in the birthing classes on how to breathe and I could not focus properly throughout them. I loved the fact that my husband kept telling me that he felt I could handle it without the epideral but he understood and supported my decision to get the pain reliever. He was very encouraging and positive and I loved his faith in me. I also knew that I still has a good amount of progression to make and the pain would only intensify so the epideral was much needed.
Though a bit shaky and nervous, the epideral was administered and the pain slowly went away. Things were good! Or so I thought. The nurses kept coming into my room and asking me to switch positions, so I went from one side to my back, to the other side several times. At first I didn’t understand the reason for this, until the doctor came in and said that he was going to take me off the pitocin because the baby wasn’t liking it. I was checked and still hadn’t made ANY progress. So, the nurses continued to monitor my contractions on their own without the pitocin to see if that would work better. Another 2 hours passed and the doctor checked me again…still NO progress…again my contractions weren’t staying close together like they should. With this, they decided to try the pitocin again to see if this time things could progress better…maybe the second time is a charm?
During all of this, my nurses kept telling me to rest because I would need all the energy I had when it came time to push. Though I tried to sleep some, I just couldn’t because I was so anxious to know if I was progressing at all. I had already been checked twice without making any progess and I needed to know if things were ok and my body was cooperating well with everything.
By the next time I was due to be checked, the doctors and nurses had changed shifts and I had a new doctor who would me monitoring my progres. I was not too happy about this, but I couldn’t help the situation. I felt comfortable with the previous doctor (heck, he had checked me 3 times already!) but by this time I also kept thinking to myself that all that mattered was the safety of Baby A.
Again, while on the pitocin, I was told to switch positions on several occasions and when the new doctor checked me, he said I was still at a 3-4. 😦
Two cycles of pitocin and no progress…and even worse baby A was again not liking the pitocin at all.
By this point, I was tired, hungry, and completely let down by the fact that I wasn’t progressing like I should be. Though no one had said anything yet, I knew that we were running out of time and an alternative birth plan could be in the future. Complete sadness, frustration and dissaspointment had hit me by this point. I kept thinking to myself “my water broke, so my body must be ready for labor” yet it wasn’t cooperating like it should and I began to feel like an absolute failure. 😦
Then the on-call midwife came in to check me since she had been on-call with my first doctor and would be a better judge of my progress. After checking me, I could read it by the look on her face….I was barely a 4, maybe a 5, but being that it was already 9 PM, I was still not progressing fast enough. Shortly after, the midwife returned with another doctor who wanted to check my status and monitor my contractions first hand. He saw that with every contraction, baby’s heart rate dipped slightly and once again confirmed that this wasn’t a good sign. He also checked me himself and reaffirmed the fact that even though I had progressed to a 6, I wasn’t progressing fast enough and with each stronger contraction, the baby’s heart rate continued to drop. He said he would give me a few more contractions to see if things changed otherwise another birth plan would be taken….